LED Variable Message Sign
LED variable message signs are electronic display boards that utilize LED technology in disseminating information to both road users and pedestrians. These signs are placed along roads and walkways to provide real-time information on traffic conditions and other relevant information to road users.
LED variable message signs are programmable and can be updated and controlled remotely from a central management system.
LED variable message signs can also be integrated with other relevant transport systems to ensure timely and relevant information delivery
Dot Matrix Variable Message Signs
Dot matrix variable message signs are a type of LED variable message signs that utilize a matrix of dots. These dots can be turned on and off to form characters, symbols, or graphics. Dot matrix variable message signs include:
· Character Matrix – Character matrices utilize a fixed-size dot matrix in displaying alphanumeric characters.
· Row Matrix – This type of dot matrix variable message sign uses a series of rows of dots to show characters. They are usually used in displaying large-size characters.
· Full Matrix – This type of dot matrix variable message sign utilizes dots throughout the entire sign area providing a high-resolution display.
Overhead Variable Message Signs
Overhead variable message signs are usually mounted above the road on strong columns or pillars. They are used for disseminating various information including directions, speed limits, and weather conditions. Common options are:
· Rear Access – This type of overhead variable message sign is accessed from the rear side to be updated and also for maintenance and repair purposes.
· Front Access – Front access overhead variable signs are accessed from the front side to update the message and also for repair.
· Walk In – Walk-in overhead variable message signs are usually large and repair personnel can walk inside them when repairing, updating, or maintaining them.
Changeable Message Signs
Changeable message signs are a type of LED variable message signs that consist of fixed panels that are manually changed to display different messages. They are used where frequent message updates are not required.
Electronic Variable Message Signs
This type of LED variable message signs uses LED panels in displaying different types of messages. They are programmable and more engaging and can be used in displaying a variety of messages.
Variable Speed Limit Signs
Variable speed limit signs are used for displaying changing speed limits based on real-time traffic conditions. They are programmable and some are equipped with sensors to monitor traffic.
Portable Variable Message Signs
Portable variable message signs are a type of LED variable message sign that can be moved from one place to another depending on the need. They are usually for short-term road work, events, traffic rerouting, or emergencies.
Benefits Of LED Variable Message Sign
Some of the benefits of LED variable message signs include:
· Greater Security – LED variable message signs work in enabling security and safety for both pedestrians and vehicle road users. LED variable message signs improve driver awareness by displaying real-time information such as traffic conditions, road closures, accidents, and emergency messages.
· Application Flexi – LED variable message signs are highly customizable with the ability to be programmed to display different messages according to specific applications. Some are equipped with sensors and other add-ons to be able to adapt to different conditions and provide real-time information.
· Content Flexibility – LED variable message signs are used to display different information types including text, graphics, symbols, and videos. This flexibility enables engaging, timely, and effective communication with drivers and pedestrians.
· Management Flexibility and Integration – LED variable message signs are integrated with both security and traffic management systems to display different messages according to specified requirements. LED variable message signs can receive data from various sources such as traffic management centers, weather stations, and emergency services, and deliver that message on a timely and real-time basis.