LED video walls are a great way to display video; it has so vast a preference that their market size value in 2018 was about $15.91 billion and is estimated to hit $36.16 billion by 2026. They are light-emitting diode utilizers that display various input signals from media players and computers, condensed to a beautiful display after making suitable adjustments to the input.
This is possible through the instrumentality of an LED video wall controller. It is a device that controls and manages the signals from every pixel of each LED display to offer an integrated image. This article explains all you need to know about LED video wall controllers and their role in the digital signage industry.
What Is An LED Video Wall Controller?
A LED video wall controller is a device that processes every content sent into it and ensures viewers get a great display.
It lets you control the picture’s color, size, and shape on an LED display. In most event centers and even public spaces with video walls, a careful look will show you that the video wall comprises several smaller screens tiled together.
Each screen connects to the LED video wall controller, ensuring they synchronize properly for a homogenous output. Apart from video walls, you can use them with various digital signage systems, such as LCDs, projectors, and flat panels.
Components of an LED Video Wall Controller
A LED video wall controller has three major components, as discussed below:
1. LED Display System
The LED display system has different components working together to bring quality content to the audience. One of these components is the LED display unit boards connected to form the main body of the LED display system.
- LED Unit Board: As a major component, an LED unit board directly affects the output of the display screen. It comprises the LED module, the driver chip, and the printed circuit board. The LED module contains luminous spots with resin enveloping each of them. One major benefit of the LED display board is its ability to get the attention of your target audience.
- Wires and Cables: The wiring of a LED video display consists of data cables and wires. These cables include data lines/flat cables that connect the unit boards and control cards, transmission lines to connect the control card and computer, and power lines to connect the control card, LED unit board, and power source.
The major difference between the flat cable and the data line is their width. Materials for making flat cables include cable heads and cable caps, which improve work efficiency and yield productivity.
- Power Source: this is another important part of the LED display that ensures a low chance of power breakdown. The display system uses only one power, so once it breaks down, the display screen automatically fails. This power supply can convert 220V or 110V AC into various DC power.
For a convenient watching experience, many people will go for a quality power supply. When choosing the right type of power source for an LED display system, consider the various features of the display, including its brightness and resolution.
2. The LED Display Control System
The LED display control system is a major part of the LED video wall, and there are two different kinds of control systems: Synchronous control system and asynchronous control system. The synchronous control system is a great choice for indoor and outdoor projects because of its ability to display graphics, videos, and notifications in real-time.
Through its control cards, you can bank on it to view multi-media content on LED screens. On the other hand, the asynchronous control system has a sending card with a memory function, making it possible for this control system to function without the computer monitor.
When the computer switches off, the LED display can still work, but it depends on the storage capacity of the control card.
3. The Scanner or Control Board
The scanning control board or scan card controls the brightness and color of each LED in a video wall display and produces various scan signals in the controller. It transmits electrical signals to each LED to carry out instructions concerning the display screen. The main types of scanning control boards you should know include:
- Static Control Board: With the help of a fixed scanning method, the static control board can generate a low-resolution content display.
- Dynamic Control Board: Works with a complex scanning method to achieve high-resolution content display.
4. Display Controller
The display controller works like a monitor that processes information and displays it as output content. It receives data and sends it as visual information to display devices such as televisions, smartphones, computers, and visual automation systems. Some of the tasks that a display controller can perform include:
- Produces Display Signals: When transmitted to a display device, these signals control various features of display images, including color and brightness.
- Edits Received Data: The controller helps to edit image, text, and video information from a connected device to the display screen.
- Allows Multiple Displays: Manufacturers built display controllers to allow you to display and store multiple pieces of information, duplicating the display screen for other activities.
5. Cooling System
As an integral part of the video wall controller, the cooling system help’s to control the device’s temperature. LED video wall controllers usually produce a certain amount of heat, but the cooling system prevents the controller from overheating and aids effective performance while at it. The cooling system has the following components:
- Fans: The fans in the cooling system introduce cool air and increase the airflow while evenly distributing heat and air.
- The heat sink removes heat and helps the system maintain a normal operating temperature.
- Liquid Cooling System distributes moisture across the cooling system to remove heat through convection.
6. In-built Scaler
The scaler adjusts the aspect ratio and resolution of the input signal to fit the resolution of the LED display. It includes resizing the image and adjusting the color grading and quality of the display. Without the scaler, it would be difficult to properly display content on a LED wall display screen and ensure a quality resolution for a visual signal.
Benefits of LED Video Wall Controller
There are many reasons anyone should use an LED video wall controller. These benefits top the list:
- High Resolution: If creating high-definition video means something to you, then you need to put an extra eye on video wall controllers. The amazing display on digital billboards and other digital signages owes a significant part of their brilliance to LED video wall controllers. With this, you can get up to 8K resolution displays.
- Flexible Display Arrangements: The controller can help arrange multiple displays in any configuration, such as portrait or landscape mode, in a matrix, or as a single unit. This allows for more diverse content presentations and ensures the visuals look great from every angle.
- Easy Installation: with its plug-and-play design, installation is easy and hassle-free compared to traditional video walls, which require the manual setup of individual units before connection.
- Enhanced Viewing Experience: LED video wall controllers have various features like synchronization, scaling, color control, and more to adjust the visuals. This helps enhance the overall viewing experience.
- Cost-Effective: An LED video wall controller is a cost-effective solution for simultaneously displaying large amounts of content on multiple displays.
- Easy to Use: A simple user interface allows users to make necessary adjustments easily and quickly without any prior technical knowledge or expertise.
Types of LED Video Wall Controllers
Below are some of the types of LED video wall controllers you can find in the market today:
1. Network-Based All-in-One Controller
With the network-based video wall controller, the content management, including the splitting and delivery process, is done in real-time and through network streaming sources with various inputs. It consists of a CPU and a video call software application that provides advanced configuration, solves scalability issues, and produces high-resolution content.
2. PC-Based LED Video Wall Controllers
Although this controller uses a PC as the central processing unit, it may require additional software for customization and content management. It is designed for small and large-scale video wall projects, as it can display various signals and basic information in great resolution and frame.
3. Cloud-Based LED Video Wall Controllers
With the help of cloud-based software, this type of controller allows system integrators to monitor the installed base of video walls. They can remotely check the status of the LED video wall and diagnose parameters for proper management.
Small or large-scale businesses can enjoy high operational efficiency, improved work experience, and faster problem solutions for system integrators and consumers.
4. Wireless LED Video Wall Controllers
This type of video wall controller uses a wireless system to send information to a LED video wall, so there won’t be any need for wires or cables for installation and maintenance. In this case, the system uses mobile features as the control means and initiates the wireless control screen.
5. Single Display Graphic Controllers
Using a touchscreen feature, the single-display graphic controller has color upgrades that allow users to view content in a single display unit. Due to its dual display screen, it can display more content from different sources. It is suitable for various applications in several industries, including HVAC, Automotive, Textile, Pharma, etc.
6. Image Display Controllers
This type of video wall controller may seem similar to the multi-display graphic controller but only identifies cases of image content. It manages the combination of various images from different images to produce high-resolution content that will attract the target audience. With its user-friendly and great color grading features, you won’t have to worry about satisfying your customers.
7. Standalone Controllers
A standalone controller is another type that improves a connected box’s monitoring and control features. Each standalone controller works with the necessary wiring and sensors to get the systems and engine running well. It allows the user to move the component from one vehicle to another using a programmable configuration.
8. Matrix Switch With Scaler Controllers
This set of controllers can provide an easy and affordable way to utilize small-sized video walls. They may offer limited content resolution but have the flexibility to display as many inputs as possible. However, the matrix switcher should always be close to the displays. The switcher devices don’t take up space but will require a central computer.
Factors to Consider When Buying a LED Video Wall Controller
It’s advisable to weigh your options according to your needs with maximum return value in mind because choosing the wrong LED video wall controller will cost you a lot of losses. Here are the top three points to consider during this stage:
1. Maximum Resolution Support
At the end of the day, you don’t want a blurry display that will drive away your prospective audience. Depending on your needs, you can get one that offers 4K or 8K resolutions. If the possible viewing distance of the viewers from the screen is significant, you must ensure you opt for the best resolution.
So you need to ascertain whether the LED video wall controller will allow you to choose great videos at the highest possible resolution.
2. Access Control
Access control helps you activate password protection to prevent unauthorized users from gaining access to your display, especially during public events like exhibitions where data protection is crucial.
3. Image Adjustment Features
Look for controllers with various image adjustment features like color control, sharpness, contrast, fading, and more for enhancement. This will afford you flexibility and the joy of customization.
How to Set up an LED Video Wall Controller
The following are helpful guides on setting up LED video wall controllers.
1. Select the Right Video Wall to Install
The planning phase is the most important stage you must take when setting up your video wall. You can start by sorting out the following:
- Location of Video Wall: It is important to install your wall close to your customers. If you decide to install the video wall far from the views of your customers, you may find it difficult to increase or maintain the number of impressions from your target audience.
- Video Wall Installation Cost: One of the important factors in every business is to account for every money you spend. It is even applicable in setting up a video wall. To remain within a financial zone, you need to juxtapose the costs of your preferred LED screen with your budget.
- Size and Aspect Ratio of Display Screen: Consider a video wall with a screen size that will be easier for your customers to notice at a far or close range. Note that a good aspect ratio with a small-sized screen could cause any content in media formats to appear unprofessional and lazy.
2. Choose a Type of Video Wall Controller
You can never be too meticulous when choosing the right video wall controller. In cases where you must use different signal types, you must be careful, as a lot can go wrong if you purchase a non-customizable video wall controller.
It is also important to get the right controller based on whether you use HDMI or any other signal. Whatever the situation, keep these in mind when making a decision.
- The operator management tools the controller has to offer.
- Type of input signal and resolution required.
- Distance between the source of information and the video wall controller.
- The video wall controller should show a Windows graphics desktop in the background.
3. Link the LED Panels
You should connect the LED panels if you purchase a video wall controller with data cables. The panel comes with various components and you may have to hire professionals to do this to avoid costly mistakes.
4. Install the Video Wall Controller
Once you have connected the LED panels, install the video wall controller via the software interface. During installation, you must adjust the video wall’s resolution, brightness, contrast, and other parameters. Ensure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions to wire and install the video wall controllers properly.
Where Can You Buy A LED Video Wall Controller
If you are looking for a reliable place to buy your LED video wall controller, look no further. NSELED guarantees you value for money. They sell amazing LED wall controllers that have passed quality and safety tests from numerous professional organizations. So you can bank on their stability and reliability.
With over 10 years of experience, NSELED is your surest plug for everything digital LED. Over 500 companies trust it in more than 100 countries, including the United States, Canada, Europe, etc.
Also, NSELED won’t leave you hanging after the sale. You can always seek technical assistance from the team, and they offer 24/7 technical support, free installation courses, and after-sales service to clients.
How Much Is A LED Video Wall Controller?
The cost of a LED Video wall controller largely depends on the device’s sophistication. The higher the technological quality, the higher the market value.
The number of layers a processor can display on the wall at a given time and the number of physical inputs and outputs also affect the cost. Depending on sophistication, LED video wall controllers can vary from $15k to $80K. You can purchase processors that cost far less for very simple video walls.
Future Trends in LED Video Wall Controllers
With numerous emerging trends in the industry, LED video wall controllers are expected to keep evolving and improving. Some of the future trends in LED video wall controllers include:
Artificial intelligence (AI) is swiftly occurring in every sector, and the emerging possibility of AI’s dominance in LED video wall controllers cannot be in doubt. AI will enable real-time analytics, automated content selection, and advanced processing algorithms.
As environmental awareness spreads, LED video wall controllers will likely develop more energy-efficient features. For instance, we might see features like automatic dimming and advanced power management to reduce operating costs and energy consumption.
The best image and video quality are yet to come. As display technology advances, LED video wall controllers may enable higher pixel density and resolutions, allowing for even more spectacular visuals.
Higher processing capabilities
Manufacturers of LED video wall controllers are also likely to continue developing more advanced processing capacities to enable faster and more efficient processing of large amounts of video data.
With the fast rising of cloud computing, LED video wall controllers may gear towards cloud-based management and control systems. This will make it easier for users to control and manage displays remotely.
LED video wall controllers may integrate more interactive features, like gesture recognition, touchscreens, and augmented reality. This will make displays more interactive and engaging for viewers. Whether these trends come in the future, LED video wall controllers will likely offer more technological advancements.
What Are LED Video Wall Processors?
An LED video wall processor is a device used to manage and control the data flow between multiple displays that make up an LED video wall. It takes input from media players, computers, or other devices and distributes it across all screens, ensuring synchronized visuals.
The processor also helps create a seamless image when using multiple displays as one unit by compensating for gaps or color differences between each display.
Additionally, most processors have features like scaling, tiling, mirroring, and more to help customize the visuals for optimal viewing experience. It’s noteworthy that video wall processors or controllers mean the same thing.
The role of LED video wall controllers cannot be underestimated in today’s digital world. Being the machine behind the amazing displays on advertising screens, it only makes sense that you prioritize it whenever you want to buy an LED wall panel.
It is important that you evaluate all of these features in order to make sure that the controller you choose is suitable for your specific setup. Visit reputable industry leaders like NSE LED to purchase state-of-the-art LED video wall controllers.