It’s one thing to have a display monitor; it’s another thing to have an interactive display screen. The latter means a touchscreen display that allows people to interact with it at will. Such displays are quickly penetrating various industries, especially in big retail stores.
They are not just interactive but trendy and sophisticated because of their self-service features. However, the major challenge is that such displays are expensive and would require a huge investment for an establishment payment to uninstall the existing display infrastructure to pave the way for the new.
This is where interactive display solutions come in. They literally allow you to convert any flat surface, including a glass window, into an interactive display screen. That said, this article shed light on practical steps on how to turn any window into an interactive display.
What Are Interactive Displays?
Interactive display is a general term for touchscreen displays that allow users to make inputs using their hands and gestures. The simplest example of an interactive display is your smartphone, which you can literally use to do anything with or without a push button.
However, interactive displays now find more applications in several other spaces, including bus terminals, banks, and malls. Due to the wide adoption of the technology and trend, the interactive display market has grown to over $41 billion across different continents. These are some of the benefits of interactive displays.
- Touch Sensitivity: This is probably the most glaring difference between an interactive and non-interactive display. With the aid of a stylus or your fingers, you can swipe, zoom, and input commands on the display screen.
- Gesture Recognition: Beyond touch sensitivity, an interactive display screen can recognize and react to simple body gestures and movements. For instance, some smartphones will take a picture when you raise your hand in front of the camera.
- Interactive Software: This is the life wire of every interactive display. As long as the software is up to date, the display will continue working correctly. The software also powers the exciting applications that keep the display running.
- Different Technologies: Interactive digital display screens need different technologies to improve the user experience and keep the view more engaging. Some of these technology include infrared touch, capacitive touch, optical touch, etc.
- Integration With Other Technologies: You can easily connect your interactive display to a camera or sensor to make the display more fascinating. This integration is usually seamless and wireless, with channels like Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.
Besides these distinctive features, interactive displays are handy and can help improve the display in different locations. There are many interactive display ideas you can apply in your shopping malls, restaurants, business meetings, educational institutions, game houses, and entertainment hubs.
Why Do You Need Interactive Displays?
You may wonder why you need an interactive wall display, especially when your traditional wall display seems to function correctly without any hassles. The goal of making a display interactive is not to make you get rid of all the regular, non-interactive displays in your possession.
The rationale behind using an interactive LED display is to reshape how we communicate and interact and make it more seamless. So whether you are given to learning, you run a business, or you simply work with creative LED displays to provide solutions, here’s why you need an interactive display screen:
- Ease of Use: Features like touch sensitivity and gesture recognition make using an interactive display much more straightforward. Even if you use the display for learning, work, online shopping, or just to relax and unwind, the process of operating and navigating an interactive display is seamless.
This will bridge the learning gap and make learning easier at all stages. With super easy prompts and gestures, technology and interactive touch display solutions are available to people of different ages and exposure.
- Increased Productivity: Imagine the seamless and fast transfer of data and information between companies with interactive digital display screens. A traditional window display may require longer to carry out simple processes like projection and file sharing.
However, an interactive display can complete all these in split seconds. Even in remote work settings, communication becomes a breeze with top-notch equipment, and everyone gets updates on their tasks.
This way, your staff will be more productive and efficient. They can easily update you on any hassles or delays hindering them from always completing their tasks.
- Increased Engagement and Active Learning: with an interactive display for classrooms, you can keep your students engaged and actively participating in a lecture. Imagine holding a lecture on flowering plants and using a cardboard printout for an illustration.
Your students may be able to understand the concept and even grab a thing or two but will not have a proper grasp of the teaching. However, when you introduce an interactive whiteboard display and show them a video of a flower on a clean LED screen, the image becomes sealed somewhere in their subconscious.
Statistics show that at least 90% of the teachers who have used interactive learning solutions agree that it helps students learn better by capturing their attention quickly. Also, students appreciate this source of information and even perform better than those without access to such learning solutions.
- Time-Saving: The stress of trying to set up a connection to a projector screen from your PC can be tiring. Jumbling wires and trying to get a clear picture on the screen can waste a lot of time and leave you all tired and sweaty.
If you’re setting up for a business pitch, best believe you will be wasting precious time while reducing your chances of clinching that deal. If it’s for a class presentation, you’ll wear your students out from the constant fiddling and make them uninterested in your lecture.
However, with an interactive projector display solution, you can display content from your device with a single swipe. An interactive display whiteboard in the classrooms will help you save time and start your classes early.
- Versatility: One major reason you need an interactive display is because of its versatility. A smart interactive display enjoys application in many fields because they are effective and easy to operate.
You can find interactive displays on devices like phones, laptops, smart watches, classroom whiteboards, digital billboards, etc. So, if you want to relax with a movie at home or improve your shopping experience, you can trust your interactive display to come through for you.
- Supports Remote Learning: Remote learning is not a new concept to many students, and ever since the COVID-19 pandemic, it has become even more rampant. One concern that often comes with remote learning is that it differs from direct classroom learning.
Thankfully, we are in an ever-evolving digital space where there is always a new solution to make life better and easier. When it comes to remote learning, interactive flat panel displays have made the work easy.
Tutors can now connect with their students, share study materials, and foster real-time interaction regardless of their physical location. The students can even make group presentations and take assessments from their unique locations.
- Customer Interaction: There’s nothing more frustrating than trying to buy a product you have little or no information about, especially when there’s barely any digital device in the retail store.
Thankfully, retail stores are changing the narrative and making shopping a more fun and enjoyable experience for their customers. They now feature interactive store displays offering self-service options, product information, and product catalogs.
- Adaptability: One thing about an interactive screen display is that it will never go out of style. Even with the constant changes in society and the new technology springing up every day, your interactive display can still hold its own.
Thanks to its software, you can update and improve your experience over time. Sometimes, a simple application download can keep you updated with the latest industry trends.
- More Engaging Presentations: No one wants to be part of a snooze fest, all in the name of an office presentation. There is no reason why you should put anyone through such torture when you have interactive meeting displays at your disposal.
You can present colorful slides, relevant statistics, pie charts, and graphs to keep your audience informed and interested in your presentation. There may be no need to print copies of your pitch when you can simply share it with the touch of a button.
Every business pitch aims to clinch a deal by leaving a lasting impression on the individuals you are pitching to. What better way to achieve this than by engaging in the most effective and efficient display solution you can lay your hands on?
- Improved Learning For People With Disabilities: Did you know that there are about 4 million children in the US living with learning disabilities, and about 18% of them drop out every year?
The struggle these people go through to gain knowledge is so sad to see, especially when there are no practical tools to aid the process and help them learn faster. Many schools have now embraced interactive displays for education to improve their teaching standard.
With a more immersive and interactive display, people with learning disabilities can grasp and retain knowledge faster. Not to mention those who are struggling with physical disabilities and may find it difficult to hold a pen or write on a board.
Interactive display technology will make learning more accessible as they can use learning tabs and interactive screens. They can also adopt remote learning solutions to avoid the risk of being in a school environment.
- Easy Syncing With Cloud Storage: Navigating paperwork can be stressful, especially when it’s a huge pile. In this digital age, it would be strange to see someone constantly struggle with endless pies of documents and filing.
Interactive display solutions do not just offer you an immersive and exciting display; they make it easy for you to store and keep records on your device. So, if you run a business or you simply have a lot of information that needs proper filing, you can trust an interactive display to do the job.
Since everything is synced to the cloud, you can access your information from anywhere as long as you are connected to a device with access to your drive. You can also add your teammates to the cloud storage and grant them access to the data.
Five Ways to Turn Any Window Into an Interactive Display
There’s no use overstressing the many benefits of using an interactive wall display. All you need to know is how to improve your regular display and make it more desirable. Some practical ways you can turn any window into an interactive display include:
This is the most common hack to transform and make a regular display interactive. By applying a touch-sensitive overlay on a window, you can transform it into an interactive touchscreen display. To transform your display, you should do the following:
1. Touch-Sensitive Overlays
This is the most common hack to transform and make a regular display interactive. By applying a touch-sensitive overlay on a window, you can transform it into an interactive touchscreen display. To transform your display, you should do the following:
- Select A Touch Overlay: To transform a regular display into a touchscreen, you need to overlay the display surface with a touch panel. You can choose from numerous options of different sizes and quality. Some common touch overlays are the Infrared touch, Capacitive Touch, Surface Acoustic Wave (SAW) touch, optical imaging touch, acoustic pulse recognition touch, resistive touch overlay, etc.
- Clean the Window: Once you have settled on a good touch overlay, you need to prepare your window for the mount. Constant exposure can leave traces of dust, moisture, and other particles on the display surface. To stay safe, unplug and switch off all appliances before cleaning them. You may not even need to apply any liquid solution; a clean dishcloth can remove all the dirt and leave the window squeaky clean.
- Attach the Overlay: The main task of transforming the display begins here. To successfully attach the overlay, you need clean and steady hands. Eliminate every distraction and work in an environment where you can focus. Gently peel off the film protecting the adhesive and attach it to your screen. After attaching the overlay, you would need to wait for it to set correctly. The manufacturer usually specifies the specific time you should wait, so adhere to it.
- Connect to a Computer: After successfully attaching the overlay, you need to connect it to a computer so it can recognize it as an input device. Depending on your device, you may need a HDMI cable, USB, or any other connector to connect your device to a computer. In most cases, you need a drive before the touchscreen overlay starts to function correctly. Each device and overlay has a compatible drive, so consult the product manual before installing any drive.
- Calibrate the Touchscreen: With calibration, you can confirm whether the touchscreen overlay is sitting and functioning properly. Each device will follow a different calibration process depending on the operating system and settings. Open your device settings and look for ‘pen and touch’ or ‘touch pad.’ When you locate it, there should be a button to ‘calibrate.’ Select the option and follow the prompts till your device notifies you that the process is complete. You can then go ahead and touch different parts of the screen to ensure the touch sensitivity is effective. If any part of the screen is not working correctly, you can recalibrate or repeat any previous processes until you get your desired result.
- Install Interactive Software: The type of software you will install depends mainly on your intended device use. So, a device for educational purposes will need a different software from a device for gaming. The software will help you explore the functionality of your touchscreen. You can customize it to any setting and language you like.
2. Interactive Projectors
Interactive projectors are like regular projectors with a twist. They do not need a special backdrop or plain background to create an immersive display. A building wall or even an open room can bring an interactive projection display to life.
If you want to set up a personal interactive projector, here’s what you can do:
- Choose an Interactive Projector: As expected, you must first select the type of projector you want. People are different, and their unique preferences can affect their choices. The short-throw projector is a good fit if you want an interactive projection display in a small space like a bedroom or board room. On the other hand, you may want something more elaborate for an ample space like a general lecture hall or ballroom; the ultra-short throw projector is what you need. In all of this, always consult your budget before you conclude. It will help you spend within your limit and avoid squandering. Also, look for a good spot to hang the projector. For those who are all about the soft life without any stress, a portable projector will stay with you on the move. It is lightweight, sleek, and perfect for spontaneous displays. You do not need any screws to set it up.
- Install the Projector: After choosing your preferred interactive projector screen, your next step is to set it up. Your LED supplier will be in the best position to give you tips and pointers as to mounting. If you plan to install the projector yourself, be sure to use the right tools and equipment so that the fixture will be sturdy. You can put it in a case to protect it from physical impact and other elements that could damage it. You may choose to affix it to the ceiling or simply hang it in an ample spot. Either way, you need to place it in an excellent location to ensure a good viewing angle for whoever will view the display screen in the future. Also, ensure that the wall or enclosure you attach the projector to is solid to prevent a crash and fall. With a portable projector, you don’t need to worry about installation; you can set up your display anytime and anywhere.
- Connect to a Computer: After securing your projector in place, the next step is to connect your projector to a system. Unlike regular displays, you may not need wires and cables to set up the screen. Many interactive projectors and displays have wireless connectivity solutions like Bluetooth, screen mirroring, and WiFi that can allow you to connect with systems in seconds. With a single tap, your projector will be ready to create magic.
- Calibrate the System: Calibration will ensure the display content is accurate and precise. To initiate the calibration process, navigate to the menu settings on the projector and look out for the ‘touch’ or ‘calibration’ settings. Follow the prompts to complete the calibration process. Different interactive projection displays have unique input methods; some use interactive pens, while others react to human touch. When you complete the calibration, test the projector to ensure the display is all set and ready to go. At this point, every art of the screen should be responsive to touch; if not, you will have to repeat the calibration process.
- Install Interactive Software: After successfully installing an operating software, your interactive projection setup will be complete. Carry out your research to ensure that the software is indeed compatible with your projector or computer. Once you have confirmed this, you can go ahead to download the software and install it on your device. Ensure you download the software from a verified source to avoid compromising your device or installing a virus. Installing the software shouldn’t take long before you can use your display. Some may require registration or even further calibration to complete the setup. You can also customize the software and set up the projector to your taste.
3. LED Transparent Screens
Transparent LED screens are the most beautiful and fascinating display to exist. Not only do they display colorful and eye-catching content, but they are also see-through. So, as you look at the screen, you’ll enjoy an immersive display and see things behind the screen at the same time.
With a transparent LED display, it feels like you are looking through a piece of glass with plenty of colors moving inside it. To turn your regular window to the wonder that is an LED screen, follow these steps;
- Choose a Transparent LED Panel: Contact an experienced LED manufacturer like NSE LED Cloud to get the LED panel that would fit your window well. Most of the panels are customizable and will allow you to create a remarkable display regardless of your window size. As you choose, opt for a lightweight panel that will not overwhelm the window and crush it with its weight. Also, consider the energy efficiency and ease of installation so that you do not have any issues with the display in the future.
- Prepare The Window: Now that you have the transparent LED panels, you should prepare your window for installation. Beyond cleaning it and removing dirt and debris, you need to check that it is in good working condition. Check that all the cables and connections on your window are in good shape. Also, confirm that the window is strong enough to bear the weight of the ED panel with ease. Do not forget to look out for a well-ventilated corner where you can mount the display.
- Mount The Transparent LED Screen: To mount the LED screen, you will need a tape measure, screws, screwdrivers, and other tools. You will drill holes through the window to secure the LED in place. Mounting brackets will solidify the mount and you finish off with screws to hold everything together. If you get confused at any point while mounting the LED, quickly refer to the manual or contact the manufacturer. We understand that the process of setting up a transparent interactive display is no small feat, and you must adopt great care and precision.
- Test Display Functionality: After carefully following all the steps above, your interactive transparent display should be ready for use. Before you put it out for public use, test the screen to ensure that everything is working correctly. When you power the screen, look out for flickers, dead pixels, and anything out of the ordinary. If there is an audio output, test it as well to ensure it is in good working condition.
4. Smart Glass Technology
A smart glass is a display screen that can change its display content as a response to stimuli or specified prompts. It is a dynamic glass display that holds a huge aesthetic appeal while maintaining privacy and conserving energy.
If you want to learn how to turn your regular display into a 3D interactive display, you can try the following;
- Install Smart Glass: The first step is to choose the smart glass panel you want, and there’s a wide range for you to choose from, including photochromic glass, thermochromic glass, electrochromic glass, Polymer Dispersed Liquid Crystal (PDLC) glass, etc. Use the right tools to measure the mounting area to avoid miscalculations or irregular dimensions. Prepare the window and carefully mount the smart glass panels on the board. Secure the panels in place and connect them to an electrical source. At this stage, your screen should be powered up and displaying simple colors.
- Connect to a Computer: To customize the display and install a control system, you need to connect the screen to a computer. Connection is super fast and easy, and you can set up your smart interactive display in a few simple steps.
- Use Interactive Content: the best way to test the screen’s functionality is to use interactive content. Set up an exciting display and use gestures to monitor the screen’s response to your different command prompts.
- Explore Gesture Control (Optional): Not all smart glass displays can recognize and respond to gestures, eg, the photochromic smart glass, which responds to UV rays. However, if your screen has the gesture control feature, test it by trying different hand gestures to see the screen’s response.
5. Virtual Interactive Displays
There’s nothing more fascinating than a virtual interactive display. They use a digital interface to create the semblance of regular interactive displays without physical hardware. You can turn any window into a virtual interactive display by:
- Use Virtual Reality (VR) or Augmented Reality (AR): Using VR or AR will be based on your intended display use. If you want an environment that is totally devoid of any physical device or hardware, VR is the choice for you. It creates a whole new world and plunges the individual into an incredible experience. On the other hand, you can make some tweaks and changes to what is already obtainable with AR. You can effectively set up an interactive interface management using virtual retinal displays. What this does is that it casts an altered appearance straight to the retina, which the brain then interprets as different. Both AR and VR can make displays more fun and very interactive.
- Develop or Use Interactive Apps: Many apps for smartphones and other devices are created just to solve human problems. From health trackers to lie detectors and even period tracking apps, users can easily interact with these apps. The fact remains that no human challenge is unique, and a solution for one will benefit many others. If it’s too much of a hassle to develop your app, you can use different apps to make your life easier.
- Configure VR/AR Devices: Many of these AR/VR devices enjoy widespread use, and as such, the features are rarely tailor-made to your taste. They often come with customizable options and prompts you can use to modify the operations. For instance, a smart device like Alexa can play music and videos. You can also configure it to switch on/off your lights, open your windows, and even interact with you like a regular human would.
- Interact in the Virtual Space: The virtual space mainly exists in games or digital worlds. Using these VR/AR devices and interacting like you would in the real world is insufficient. Interact with other entities in the virtual space and see the universe in a new light.
1. What is the Difference Between an Interactive Panel and a TV?
Users can enter commands into an interactive display panel using fingers or a stylus. It’s fascinating to watch this interactive screen. However, a TV is also a type of display screen that shows audiovisual content; it does not necessarily support touch input or interaction.
2. Where are Interactive Displays Used?
Because interactive displays increase viewer enjoyment, you can use them in various settings, including offices, retail establishments, classrooms, corporate settings, and private residences.
3. What is the Difference Between Interactive Whiteboards and Interactive Displays?
With touchscreen functionality, interactive whiteboards are large screens that are connected to computers. Classrooms and board rooms frequently use them. Touchscreens, LED displays, interactive whiteboards, and other features may also be found in interactive displays, a more general category with improved functionality.